We are one of the most successful university lifesaving clubs in the UK. We offer some of the best student coaching with our teams high level of expertise and dedication bringing us many successes over the years. These achievements include finishing 2nd at the National Championships every year since 2015. We have also placed in the top 3 of the A League every year since 2014, as well as placed in the top 2 of the B League every year since 2013.
Our club socials are incredibly popular and are often the highlights of our members year. Anything from camping trips to day outs to theme parks, alongside our weekly socials, there is always something to look forward to.
We train around 4-5 times a week, with 2 dry side first aid sessions and 4 pool sessions.
Through being a member of our club, you have the opportunity to progress in RLSS Survive and Save awards as well as complete the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) at a discounted price. This qualification allows you to work as a lifeguard all across the UK. In addition to this, we also offer NPLQ training hours.
Facts about UoB Lifesaving
– We are one of only 19 universities that offer Lifesaving
– We are the most successful club in BULSCA since its creation back in 2002
– We are the only club to have won the BULSCA A League 3 consecutive times
– We had several of our members qualify and compete at the World Lifesaving Championships in Eindhoven, Netherlands in 2016
How to get involved
Membership is £110 for the year
Please note that on top of the club fee there is a £16 fee that covers personal accident insurance when training or competing for the University, access to free cross-training sessions such as circuits and yoga, as well as a contribution to the costs of affiliation to various national governing bodies. This fee is only payable once so if you did decide to join a second club then you would not need to pay a second fee.
Unique, there’s nothing like it.
3 skills this sport will give you:
Calm in emergency situations
Training times & venues
All our training takes place at the Sports and Fitness Centre
Thursday: 7:30 – 10:15pm
Friday: 6 – 9pm
Sunday: 6 – 8pm
Successes and Achievements
3rd for Male Squad at Crawley Open
2nd at the BULSCA National Championships
3rd in the BULSCA A League
2nd in the BULSCA B League
The highlight of our year is BULSCA Student Championships. This is a whole weekend of competing at the highest level against universities from all over the country. A lot of our training is geared towards this competition as there are a lot of fun speed events that we don’t do in normal competitions.
Course: Sport and Exercise Science
Graduated in: 2018
– Won the BULSCA A League 2014-2015, 2015-2016 and 2016-2017
– Won the BULSCA B League 2013-2014
– Won the BULSCA National Championships in 2014
– 5th in the SERCs at the World Lifesaving Championships in 2016
– Competed twice at the Grand Prix Moravie in the Czech Republic
Course: Chemistry with a Modern Language
Graduated in: 2018
– 2nd in BULSCA A League 2017-2018
– Won the BULSCA B League 2015-2016
– Selected for RLSS UK Performance Squad for 2018-2019
– Holds 11 Birmingham University records (the most out of all members)
Course: Political Science
Graduated in: 2014
– Won the BULSCA A League 2012-2013
– Won the BULSCA B League 2011-2012
– Won the BULSCA National Championships in 2012 and 2014
– ILSE European SERC Champion 2011-2012
– ILS World SERC Champion 2013-2014