2016/17 Club Members
Dan Wood & David HartleyPicture By www.edwardmoss.co.uk 07766250970 Please credit Edward Moss Photography. University of Birmingham V Warwick Cricket 20/20 Harborne.
UBCC has 70 members in the BUCS squad, with a social squad existing alongside the main club to supplement the BUCS squads and increase cricketing provision at Birmingham. We train throughout the year, utilising the world class facilities at the Edgbaston Indoor School every week.
Training throughout the winter focuses on development of cricketing skills and physical fitness, with spring term targeting optimum preparation for the outdoor BUCS season. We then meet in the final week of the Easter holidays for our traditional ‘Cricket Week’ where friendly fixtures and social activities gear the squads up for BUCS competition. We also pride ourselves on combining competitive cricket with an active social calendar, providing a welcoming and friendly atmosphere for all cricketers to enjoy. We welcome anyone who shares our enthusiasm and passion for the sport to be a part of UBCC.
How to get involved
Taster session and/or trial information will be available soon. The membership fees are BUCS (£140 which gets reduced to £65 in Term 2 and £20in Term 3), Social (£60 which gets reduced to £40 in Term 2).
Has the best pre season!
3 skills this sport will give you:
How to work as a team
Improves hand-eye coordination
Stresses values of sportsmanship and fair play
Training times & venues
Wednesday: Term 1 & 2
Location: Indoor Centre at Edgbaston County Cricket Ground, approximately 1 mile from Campus. Training takes place in world class facilities and is run by qualified coaches from the Warwickshire Cricket Board. All BUCS squad members are expected to attend.
Social Squad Sessions:
In addition to the BUCS squad training provision the Social Squad has training during terms 1 and 2, run by an ECB Level 2 qualified coach.
Matches/Training (in season/Term 3):
During the Cricket season, the BUCS squads train at the Warwickshire Cricket Board’s Portland Road facility and at Moseley Cricket Club. The 1st XI play matches at Moseley CC in Solihull and the 2nd XI and 3rd XI play matches at Walmley CC in Sutton Coldfield. The Social Squad also organise friendly matches and training sessions at local cricket clubs near the main campus.
- 2017 1st XI Squad Member Tom Forster selected for Cheshire CCC Minor County Side
- 2017 1st XI Finalists in Inaugural University of Northampton T20 Competition
- 2016 3rd XI winners of BUCS Midlands 3B
- 2015 1st XI winners of the Kingfisher T20 Challenge Cup
- 2015 2nd XI winners of BUCS Midlands 2A
- 2015 1st XI joint winners of BUCS Midlands 1A
- 2013 2nd XI winners of BUCS Midlands 2B
- 2012 BUCS Indoor Cricket Midlands winners and National Semi-Finalists (Headingly)
- 2011 BUCS Indoor Cricket National Runners-Up (SWALEC Stadium)
- 2010 BUCS Indoor Cricket National Finalists (Lord’s Indoor School)
Level of competition/participation:
Men’s 1st XI – Midlands 1A
Men’s 2nd XI – Midlands 2B
Men’s 3rd XI – Midlands 3B
The Social Squad organise friendlies against local club sides and universities.
- In addition to training throughout the year and summer matches we aim to provide numerous competitive opportunities throughout the winter via 6-a-side football and indoor cricket leagues.
- To supplement the BUCS program we hold our annual cricket week in the last week of Easter holidays to prepare for the season with multiple matches each day.
- We hold an alumni match each year, usually during Cricket Week, giving members new and old a chance to catch up and forge vital contacts beyond university.
Head Coach: Errol Simms
Club Captain: Robert Shenkman