MOUNTAINEERING & CLIMBING
UBMC is a large, highly active club at the University of Birmingham providing opportunities for students to undertake mountaineering-related activities. Whether you are an experienced rock-climber looking for new challenges or a first-timer who wants to learn and try climbing both indoors and outdoors, there is a chance for everyone to experience mountaineering. The club is very proud of its friendly, welcoming atmosphere and members are only too happy to help people get started.
We meet regularly at the Depot Birmingham on Monday evenings and Redpoint on Wednesday afternoons. To get involved like the Facebook page and message us there, join our Facebook group or find us at one of our climbing sessions where we will be happy to help!
Club membership includes:
- Access to cheap club trips to many locations including: Wales, Scotland, the Lakes, Dorset, the Peak and Pembrokeshire
- All gear provided for free to borrow!
- British Mountaineering Council Insurance
- Subsidised access to the Midland Association of Mountaineers (M.A.M.)
- Subsidised training costs for First Aid qualifications, Single Pitch Award (SPA) training, Rope Works Course, Winter Skills Courses and many more…
- Free advice and encouragement from experienced members of the club
- The opportunity to join our team where you receive weekly training and have the option to travel to many competitions with us
- Social events every other Wednesday that include pub crawls, trampoline parks, film nights and usually end at snobs!
- Discounted shopping trips for climbing gear
- 20% off at Cotswold Outdoor and 10% off many other outdoor shops including Rock On in Redpoint!
Sign up to the club via the Guild of Students website: https://www.guildofstudents.com/studentgroups/societies/mountaineering/
How to get into Mountaineering & Climbing
3 skills this sport will give you:
ONLY IF YOU ARE JOINING THE TEAM, THIS IS OPTIONAL AND MOST PEOPLE IN THE CLUB ARE NOT PART OF THE TEAM:
Please note that on top of the club fee there is a £16 fee that covers personal accident insurance when training or competing for the University, access to free cross-training sessions such as circuits and yoga, as well as a contribution to the costs of affiliation to various national governing bodies. This fee is only payable once so if you did decide to join a second club then you would not need to pay a second fee.
Training times & venues
As a club we enjoy climbing indoors twice a week and outdoors once a fourtnight!
Indoor Bouldering: Monday, leaving Guild of Students at 6pm, The Depot Birmingham.
Indoor Roped Climbing: Wednesday, leaving Guild of Students at 1pm, Redpoint Climbing Centre
For information on Team Training sessions contact: email@example.com
Successes and Achievements
Maggie Knight 6th and Ella Gilbert 7th overall in female category of the London University Bouldering Event. The whole team placed 6th.
In the early days of UBMC an affiliation developed with the Midland Association of Mountaineers who were a local climbing club and are still very active to this day. The nickname “The Stoats” was given to UBMC by the MAM when one member noted that way UBMC climbers stuck to the rock was very “stoat-like.” The name has stuck and ever since then UBMC members have been referred to as stoats, for better or worse!
Message our facebook page. One of our friendly committee members will be happy to help 🙂
For other contact info visit here.
Rick Allen, First Ascent of Mazeno Ridge on Nanga Parbat, Winner of the Piolet D’Or 2013, recently in the news after a dramatic ascent and rescue on Broad Peak!