Polo and Polocrosse
Club Member 17/18
Polo Winter Nationals 2018
Polo & Polocrosse
The University of Birmingham Polo and Polocrosse Club is a sociable and successful club and we encourage anyone from complete beginners to professional riders get involved. The club began in 2008 and since then has grown from strength to strength with an ever-increasing number of members. After last year’s success with a beginner team becoming the first winners of the University Polocrosse Competition, the club is introducing Polocrosse as a regular activity. The aim is to combine these two sports to give our members more varied opportunities to play and compete.
The club mainly trains on a Wednesday afternoon at Rugby Polo Club; however there is always an opportunity to train on other weekdays and the weekend. There are three main University competitions throughout the year, which the club attends, one in November, February and June. The University of Birmingham Polo and Polocrosse club has also been responsible for setting up the West midlands league, which gives Universities around the Midlands the opportunity to arrange chukkas against each other throughout the year.
How to get involved
£215 for POLO training members (Limited and on request), £85 for POLOCROSSE and casual POLO membership.
Please note that on top of the club fee there is a £16 fee that covers personal accident insurance when training or competing for the University, access to free cross-training sessions such as circuits and yoga, as well as a contribution to the costs of affiliation to various national governing bodies. This fee is only payable once so if you did decide to join a second club then you would not need to pay a second fee.
Training times & venues
Wednesday afternoons at Rugby Polo Club (about 40 minutes away)
Successes and Achievements
- Founded and ran the Midlands league – B1 Won their Division
- November 2017; University Challenge; B1 winning their division
- February 2018; Winter Nationals; B1 winning their division
- Winter Season; Midlands League; B1 winning their division
- Winter Season; Midlands League; Intermediates winning their division
- March 2018; National League Finals; B1 winning their division
- March 2018; National League Finals; Intermediates coming 4th in their division
- Summer 2018: National League Finals – N2 Winning their Division
- Summer 2018: National League Finals – N4 Winning their Division
- Summer 2018: National League Finals – B3 Came third
- Won the University of Birmingham Development Club of 2017/2018
- Summer 2018 – Organised and Held a charity polo festival raising £1000 for our two charities’; Fisher House and Invictus Games Foundation
In 2018 University of Birmingham founded the University Polo League, which enables Universities to have competitive chukkas against each other more regularly.
The club has only been running for 10 years!
Club Captain: Rebecca Horn & Lauren Snelling
Head Coach: Chris Milton (Rugby Polo Club)