Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
University of Birmingham Sport


Rugby 1sts see off Edinburgh fightback

The 1st XV were looking to bounce back from their narrow defeat to Bishop Burton with a game against Edinburgh at an unusually early kick off time for a home match. Thanks to a dominant first half display, the side were able to hold on against tough opposition from north of the border.

The first half was extremely one sided as the effects of the travelling seemed to take their toll on the visitors, with UoB dominating from start to finish. The early pressure gave UoB the chance to get on the scoreboard as Tighe Maxwell-Whiteley slotted a timely penalty. The hosts continued to pile on the pressure and scrum-half Will Hardwick powered through 2 tackles on the short side to get the first try of the game and Maxwell-Whiteley converted. A slight bit of ill-discipline allowed Edinburgh back into the game with a penalty but it did not halt UoB’s charge as Sunni Jardine sent hooker Gregor Lockhart-Smith through a gaping whole in the defence to cross for UoB’s second try. A further conversion and another penalty from Maxwell-Whiteley took the score to 20-3 at the half hour mark. The game seemed to be wrapped up before half time as following a turnover winger Ali Wealthall danced through the Edinburgh defence, before Hardwick gave second row Jack West a lofted pass for him to dive over in the corner. The score at 27-3 at the break.

The second half started off in a similar way and Maxwell-Whiteley kept up his 100% record for the day to push the score to 30-3. Edinburgh then seemed to rouse themselves and set about on a mini fightback. Fatigue and ill-discipline started to creep into the UoB game and mistakes in their own 22 allowed the away team to capitalise and get 2 scores of their own to bring the score to 30-15. The home side did well to not allow Edinburgh too much momentum, and through some superb build up play Wealthall produced a sublime pass to send in-form winger Eddie Jenkinson over in the right hand corner. Edinburgh had the final say with 2 tries in the final five minutes but they were only consolations as their first half frailties could not be undone. The final score was 37-27 in a fantastic game of rugby for Birmingham.


Share this post