Women’s Football First Team Roar into the Semis

Despite a broken hand meaning a change in personnel between the sticks, Ellie Bruton – centre-back any other day – stepped in again to help the UOBWFC 1st team roar into the Semi Finals of the Women’s Trophy.

The team lined up in determined fashion, ready to avenge last week’s narrow loss to the same opposition – Nottingham Trent 1s. Trent, having just clinched the league title, have offered strong opposition this year and were unlikely to give up their unbeaten run without a fight. An exciting game was on the cards.

The match began as an end-to-end affair, with both teams enjoying spells of pressure, though it was Trent looking the more likely team to score. Within the first 5 minutes two exceptional goal line clearances from Jasmine Sherrell kept the score at 0-0. An incredible save from a one-on-one from Ellie Bruton was met with applause from the side lines, as was the third goal line clearance from Jasmine Sherrell from the resulting corner – with the midfielder almost doubling her height to get a head on it! Birmingham’s closest chance of the first half came from Evie Gallop, who leapt head and shoulders above her marker, but put her header centimetres wide of the post, leaving Birmingham with great momentum going into half time.

Half Time: University of Birmingham 0-0 Nottingham Trent University

The second half brought an early save from the Trent keeper, as a shot from Maiken Helsing caused trouble in the box. This gave way to a prolonged onslaught of Trent pressure, which the girls worked tirelessly to break down – successfully. A solid defensive display from the back line kept Trent at bay, along with more great saves from Ellie Bruton. She saved her best for the 60 minute mark, though. With Trent gifted a freekick just outside the box, Brutes produced an incredible flying save to stop the ball sailing into the top corner! This fired up the team and led to Brum applying more and more pressure to the Trent backline. The breakthrough came half way through the half, when Alisha Miller latched on to a beautifully served through ball from Evie Gallop and lifted the ball over the keeper and into the back of the net. With the crowd now in great voice, Brum entertained with more shots at the Trent goal, with another from Alisha Miller going just wide. Injuries to much of the squad had left the team with a limited substitutes bench, including injured goalkeeper Colette Bell, but that was no problem for us. With a determination to grind out the win, and a huge commitment to the team, Colette came on as an outfield player and applied tireless pressure to the Trent back line. The referee finally blew the final whistle – Full Time 1-0 Brum!

The team now face a long trip up north to take on Teesside University for a place in the final. To keep up to date with how Women’s football progress, be sure to follow them on Twitter and Instagram.

Share this post