Mountaineering & Climbing
UBMC is a large, highly active club at the University of Birmingham providing opportunities for students to undertake mountaineering-related activities. Whether you are an experienced rock-climber looking for new challenges or a first-timer who wants to learn and try climbing both indoors and outdoors, there are opportunities for everyone to experience mountaineering. The club is very proud of its friendly, welcoming atmosphere and members are only too happy to help people get started.
As a club we climb indoors twice a week with one dedicated roped session (Redpoint Climbing Centre) and one dedicated bouldering session (Depot Birmingham). This is accompanied by outdoor trips around the UK on a fortnightly basis, where anybody within the club regardless of skill level are welcome to attend (so long as they don’t mind braving the temperamental British weather).
In addition to this you can join our competitive climbing team. Here you will receive both one to one and team training sessions to hone your skills in preparation to compete in various competitions throughout the year.
In the early days of UBMC an affiliation developed with the Midland Association of Mountaineers who were a local climbing club and are still very active to this day. The nickname “The Stoats” was given to UBMC by the MAM when one member noted that way UBMC climbers stuck to the rock was very “stoat-like.” The name has stuck and ever since then UBMC members have been referred to as stoats, for better or worse!
Club membership includes:
- Access to cheap club trips to many locations including: Wales, Scotland, the Lakes, Dorset, the Peak and Pembrokeshire
- All gear provided for free to borrow!
- British Mountaineering Council Insurance
- Subsidised access to the Midland Association of Mountaineers (M.A.M.)
- Subsidised training costs for First Aid qualifications, Single Pitch Award (SPA) training, Rope Works Course, Winter Skills Courses and many more…
- Free advice and encouragement from experienced members of the club
- The opportunity to join our team where you receive weekly training and have the option to travel to many competitions with us
- Social events every other Wednesday that include trampoline parks and film nights!
- Discounted shopping trips for climbing gear
- 20% off at Cotswold Outdoor and 10% off many other outdoor shops including Rock On in Redpoint!