2022/23 STUDENT ROLES
The University of Birmingham Sport marketing department supports the University’s 56 sports clubs, sport events, The Extra Mile volunteer programme, participation programmes and sport scholars as well as the promotion of the Sport & Fitness club.
To support this work, we are looking for enthusiastic students who have a passion and knowledge for sport to promote our services and facilities and become an ambassador for living a healthy, active lifestyle at University.
We are looking for two creative and enthusiastic students with a talent for creating engaging digital content and for sports writing to provide support to our department.
- Collating and reviewing match reports sent through from clubs
- Contacting UoB Sport club captains and coaches to conduct interviews and collect other information for sport content
- Sub‐editing match reports and news articles to ensure suitability for release, e.g. writing up sports stories from Wednesday BUCS matches
- Uploading stories to the UoB Sport & Fitness News page. All content must meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines AA standard. Training will be provided.
- Creating social media content for the UBSport and UoB Sport & Fitness accounts which includes video content (TikTok’s and reels)
- Collecting relevant information for UoB Sport & Fitness publications from University clubs, scholars, volunteers and staff
- Interviewing students, alumni and staff for relevant media releases or news stories
- Supporting with events
- Completing weekly content tasks including writing Sports Desk
- Working with the photography ambassadors to create content such as event promotion
- Assist the marketing department with coming up with ideas to improve the spectatorship at University sports matches
- The opportunity to work alongside PR, media and marketing professionals
- Gain experience in marketing, events and communications
- Receive training on online systems (including website design and social media scheduling)
- The opportunity to enhance your social media skills
- Development of communication skills, both written and verbal
- First‐hand role in enhancing the student experience and creating initiatives to improve student engagement
- Free Prime membership for the Sport & Fitness Club
- Branded New Balance UoB kit
- Excellent interpersonal skills: confidence to approach and talk to all members of staff and students, ability to pick up details quickly and speak knowledgably on relevant topics
- Interviewing skills
- Excellent writing and proof-reading skills
- A good attention to detail
- A sound knowledge of social media and content creation (including video creation) and the desire to improve social media engagement through different campaigns
- Ability to work independently
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude for all tasks
- Would particularly suit someone interested in pursuing a career in sport and/or marketing
- Approximately 5 hours per week; this is generally separated into 2.5 hours working in the sport marketing office on a Thursday, and 2.5 hours work outside of this gathering content and completing interviews elsewhere
- Hours are September 2022- June 2023 with opportunities to work flexibly during the holidays.
- Monthly review meetings with UoB Sport & Fitness Communications Officer
- Must be able to attend a training session prior to start date (date tbc early September)
- If you are interested please provide CV, covering letter and roughly 300- 500 words explaining how you would improve the number of spectators at weekly BUCS fixtures using examples such as social media content. This must be sent over to Lauren Askey, Communications Officer on [email protected] by 5pm on Sunday 4 September.
Interviews are due to take place in person w/c 5th September so please include your availability for these days in your application.
We are looking for an enthusiastic student who has a passion for photography to help promote our clubs, services and facilities.
N.B. Access to your own equipment is desirable, although we do have some equipment if required.
- Attend a select number of university matches in the British University & College Sport (BUCS) leagues and competitions per week. These will take place on campus, mostly on Wednesday afternoons
- In some instances, you will be asked to arrange separate photography with clubs
- Coverage of all specified events that have been organised by UoB Sport & Fitness. This includes ALL BUCS Super Series events, along with other student and member events on campus
- Assistance with the promotion of student sport events, which may include photoshoots to be used in the design of promotional materials
- General photography of Sport & Fitness facilities
- Photography of participation programmes such as classes, Try A Sport sessions and Campus League, as well as one-day events taking place throughout the year
- Coverage of a number of off-campus events throughout the year; this includes BUCS Big Wednesday and BUCS Nationals (travel will be provided)
- Coverage of Sports Awards (June 2023) which will include gathering content of nominees beforehand
- Coverage of external events hosted at the University. These vary from local to international events, such as the World University Squash Championships and British Junior Open.
- You will be given a deadline to share your images for each fixture and event
- You will be required to take video content at certain fixtures and events too (collected on good quality smart phone is fine).
- Experience photographing a variety of different sports and events.
- The opportunity to have your photos used and credited on UoB Sport & Fitness / University social media channels, the UB Sport & Fitness website, press articles, printed promotional materials, digital adverts, and TV Screens around campus.
- Free inclusive membership for either UB Sport & Fitness or Tiverton (Tiverton is just gym).
- Some experience of photography, with sports photography experience desirable but not required
- Some experience of videography and a sound knowledge of how to storyboard and create video content for marketing and social media campaigns
- Enthusiastic individual with knowledge of / an interest in sport and fitness at the University
- Time management and the ability to work independently
- Flexible schedule
- Positive attitude
- Able to stick to deadlines when it comes to producing digital prints
- Would particularly suit someone interested in pursuing a career in photography
- Up to 60 hours across the year, although flexibility is required
- Informal end of year review meeting with UoB Sport & Fitness Marketing Department
Due to the timing of university sports fixtures, it is desirable that you are available on Wednesday afternoons, although this will not be a weekly requirement.
If you are interested in the role and able to fulfil the commitments listed above, please send the following to Lauren Askey (Communications Officer) on [email protected] before 5pm on Sunday 4 September.
A copy of your CV and at least 500 words explaining:
- Your photography experience
- Your main reason for your application
- Why you are suitable for the role
- Please attach a portfolio of some of your previous work alongside your application.
Interviews will be taking place on w/c 5th September so please include your availability for these days in your application.
- Attending and contributing to all events organised by UoB Sport & Fitness including Welcome Week, Sport & Fitness Fair, Open Days, Applicant Visit Days and one-off events
- Attending and contributing to specified events hosted by student clubs (this includes working at least 3 out of 5 BUCS Super Series Events)
- You must accompany the Sport Marketing Department to either BUCS Big Wednesday in March or BUCS Nationals (transport provided).
- General promotion of UoB Sport & Fitness across campus and halls of residence
- Attendance, coverage and promotion of university matches in BUCS competitions, including gathering content for our social media channels.
- Assisting with market research and delivering focus groups when needed
- Support with live streaming sport matches and events (training and equipment is provided)
- Do you want to add Sports Awards?
- The opportunity to work alongside PR and marketing professionals
- Marketing, events and promotional experience
- Free Prime Sport & Fitness gym membership
- University of Birmingham New Balance kit
- Development of communication skills
- First‐hand role in enhancing the student experience
- References can be provided by the department for future employment opportunities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, confidence, ability to speak knowledgably.
- Enthusiastic individual with knowledge of/ an interest in sport and fitness at the University.
- Time management
- Ability to work independently
- Flexible schedule
- Positive attitude
- Would particularly suit someone interested in pursuing a career in sport and/or marketing.
- Approximately 60 hours across the year, although flexibility is required
- Informal end of year review meeting with Sport Marketing Department
- Initial training?
If you are interested please send the following to Lauren Askey (Communications Officer) on [email protected]
- A copy of your CV
- A cover letter
- At least 500 words on the following:
- Why you think you would be good for the role
- What key messages you would relay to prospective students during Open Days or Welcome Week
- How you would provide support during large sporting events on campus
Please use the subject: ‘Brand Ambassador Application’ and send by midnight on Sunday 14 August.
You must be available for a minimum of two days within Welcome Week (19 – 23 September) and must be available for two out of three of the University of Birmingham Undergraduate Open Days on Saturday 10 September, Saturday 15 October and Saturday 13 November.
Interviews will take place on w/c 22 August.