Founded in 2001, the Birmingham Lions Ice Hockey Club is a British University Ice Hockey Association (BUIHA) affiliated club based at the University of Birmingham, representing Higher Education institutions in Birmingham (University of Birmingham, University College Birmingham, Birmingham City University, Newman University, Aston University).
We have sessions for both beginners and experienced players and also run regular socials where members can get to know each other and bond as a team. No matter your hockey or skating ability, anyone will be welcomed to our club, even if you just want to join us for the socials!
We compete at all levels and cater for all abilities from those that have never skated before to those that have played for years! We compete nationally against other university ice hockey clubs from across the country as well as taking part in a weekend of national championships every year in Sheffield. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive club that has experienced great success in previous years. 46% of our registered players were women in the 2022/23 season, despite traditionally being a male dominated sport. We also have many players who are openly part of the LGBTQ+ community as well as having a large proportion of international players. These strides we have made as a club to create a diverse and inclusive team has led to us winning the pride award in the 2021/22 academic year.
Training is at Planet Ice Solihull Ice which is a 20-minute drive from The Guild of Students.
President: Joe Shirlaw
Exact times will be confirmed by the club upon registration.
£125 termly membership (paid twice a year) includes:
- 10 weeks of 1 hour training sessions
- Subsidised games
- BUHIA League Fees
- Referees for all friendlies and matches
- Sport equipment (pucks/nets)
Additional £17.50 sport and fitness fee covers insurance, clinics in the event of injury (physiotherapy, etc.) and fitness classes. Contact us for more information.
Pay as you go option (card machine available):
- £17.50 per training session
- £3 extra for matches
Beginners (card machine available):
- Beginners’ taster session £5
- Each training thereafter £12
- Transport covered
- Coaches covered
- Skates and equipment covered
- Term 1and 2 Scrimmages – £20 per person for 2 hour scrim (~4 scrimmages)
- Summer Scrimmages – £10 per person for 1 hour scrim (weekly scrimmages, dependant on interest)
- Away Match Fee – £10 per match, plus petrol for transport (~4 matches)
- Home Match Fee – £20 per match (~4 matches)
- Non-member additional match fee – £3 per match
- Battle of the beginners – TBD (1 battle)
- Additional training (on invitation only) – £10
- Individual club clothing – Varied
*This is an approximate list of what the club membership may include. This can change at any point, so please confirm with the club directly on what this membership includes.
Trials and Tasters
Monday 25 September – 10:30 pm – 00:30 pm – Planet Ice
Tuesday 26 September – 10:45 pm – 11:45 pm – Planet Ice